Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Post-Op Appointments

Today we had our post-op appointments.

First we saw Dr. Patel, the surgeon. He said everything looks good. He also said that Danny's eyelid was opening more when he lifted his eyebrow, which when he said that it was, but I hadn't noticed before. I asked about the swelling and he said that would decrease over time. Since those are muscles he isn't used to he strains them more, thus swelling occurs. I'm not convinced, though, since he had the swelling before the surgery. Dr. Patel again told me that this was a temporary procedure to get the eye open so the vision could develop. The silicone sling will lose its elasticity over time and Danny's eyelid will start to drop more. When Danny is 3 or 4 they will do another permanent surgery. We will have to see Dr. Patel again in 4-6 months.

Next we went over the Dr. Hoffman, the opthamologist. The nurse tested Danny's eyes using a Teller Acuity Test (http://www.stereooptical.com/html/teller-acuity-cards.html). She said his vision was good. The doctor looked at his eyes and said everything looks good. He doesn't need any patching or glasses. His eye is staying moist and I just have to make sure it stays that way. We have to see Dr. Hoffman again in 2-3 months.

2 comments:

Trisha4 said...

Hi Tiffany,
My son was born a couple of weeks before Danny, and he'll have his surgery in January. Thank you so much for sharing your story. You don't know how happy I was to find it. Seeing the pictures and reading about your and Danny's experience eases some of the worries I had about the surgery. It looks like Danny is recovering beautifully, and I'm happy that everything went well. There are moments when I wish Braeden didn't need the operation, but then I thank my lucky stars that he is healthy and happy baby and ptosis is something that can fixed. And like you, I remind myself that we are doing the surgery because he runs the risk of developing lazy eye, and in the long run, this surgery is better for vision.
Again, thank you for your story. I wish you and your family all the best.

AnnieP said...

Hi Tiffany,
I don't know if you still check this, but I have some questions for you. My daughter just had a frontalis sling procedure last week, and I was wondering if you could give me some more details on Danny's progress since the surgery. I know you are probably really busy chasing Danny around, but if you could send me an e-mail to aspeer16@gmail.com, I would really appreciate it. It is so nice to know that there is someone out there who has gone through all of this. Like you said on your blog, it is so difficult to find information about this condition. I would love to hear from you. Thanks so much.