Thursday, September 30, 2010

Recovery...First Days

So first let me answer the questions that I get asked most often.

Danny CAN and does close his eye. I was watching him while I was reading to him tonight and when he blinks, his right eye, the ptosis eye, only flinches. It doesn't blink along with the other one. But when he went to close his eyes to sleep, he shut it just fine. It looks like he raises the bottom lid up to close the gap.

As far as symmetry goes, it is too early to tell how even they are because of swelling. I'll keep you updated.

Danny slept from about 11am on the car ride home from the hospital until 3pm when I went to give him Tylenol with Codeine. He slept well except for a couple times where he would whine for a few seconds. He didn't really want to wake up at first, but when he did he was happy. The swelling had increased a lot. This picture is from just after he woke up:At 3:30pm I gave him Amoxicillin and ointment on his stitches. He ate a slice of bread and relaxed and watched TV for an hour. Then he decided it was time to play. He gave me his pacifier and sippy cup, then started acting like a normal two year old. Around 6pm he had mac & cheese for dinner, had some Motrin after complaining about his eye a little, then relaxed in front of the TV. He was really tired. Just before 7pm I put him to bed. He felt a little warm and may have had a slight fever. A little after 7pm, he came wandering out of his room. I was able to give him the Amoxicillin and ointment that I had forgotten earlier. But then he decided he wanted to sit with me at watch Mickey Mouse Club house for a couple hours. At 9pm I have him Tylenol with Codeine and put him to bed. When he went to bed the surgical tape was off of one of his incision. This picture was him just before he want to bed (wearing Dad's socks):

Danny woke up around 7am. He woke up happy had feeling fine. I gave him Amoxicillin but no pain killers. He looked a little less swollen and all the surgical tape was gone from his incisions. This picture was taken just after he woke up so his eyes look a little sleepy still:

This picture was around 9am:

At 10am we went to Chick-Fil-A with a friend. Danny acted just like himself, playing on the climbing toys and sliding down the slides. Right before we left, around 11:30a, he complained about his eye hurting so I gave him Motrin. But I think what may have happen is that he wiped a sanitizing wipe over the incisions and the alcohol stung the wounds.

When we got home he had more Amoxicillin and tomato soup for lunch. So after lunch, since he was covered in soup, a little dirty from playing, and still a little gross still from the surgery, I decided it was time for a bath. I was a little nervous, but it was no big deals. We washed like normal and, since he refuses to tilt his head back when I rinse his hair, he had water running down his face. He was able to squeeze his eye shut just fine and I lightly blotted the surgical area dry. These pictures were just after his bath:

We went for a walk around 6pm, and he was still doing great. The swelling had gone down a lot, but it is obviously still swollen on his eyelid. I think that is taking longer because they took out the fatty tissue and made a longer incision there.

He went to bed following his normal routine, except with Amoxicillin and ointment. This surgery has not affected his personality at all and I don't think his eye is even really bothering him.


Two Kayaks said...

My son has congenital Ptosis and will be undergoing surgery in January. I look forward to reading more about your son's recovery.

Mandy said...

hi! My son (16 months) just had his ptosis surgery on Monday, would you mind sending me your email address.... he is doing "ok", but his one eye seems pulled REALLY tightly and you can see the underneath of his eyelid, just wondering if that will drop some... he is pretty swollen, but all around happy. My email is thanks! Our blog is